All drivers encounter some distraction while behind the wheel, but there are things that we can all do to avoid unnecessary distractions and improve our focus on safe driving.
Here’s some helpful tips to get started:
- Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road at all times; use your phone’s “Do Not Disturb” (Apple now has a Driving mode or Focus mode that you can customize!) feature or an app to silence calls and texts.
- Put your phone in the glovebox or elsewhere to curb the urge to look at it.
- Avoid eating and drinking while driving.
- Pull over to a safe location and park your vehicle if you need to make or take a call.
- Ask a passenger to help navigate, change the music, or monitor your texts.
- Pull over to a safe place to address situations involving pets or children. Model safe driving behavior as a family. Parents can be just as guilty of common distracted driving behaviors. Make a pledge as a family and commit to not engaging in any distracted driving behaviors.